Reforming Marriage by Douglas Wilson

•Marriage problems are overwhelmingly problems with sinlack of conformity to the word of God in our thoughts, words and actions.

•That there is sexual relationship at the center of the home should be obvious to all who live therehugs, kisses, and romantic attention.

•A husband is not to mistake the love for his wife that God requires of him with the counterfeit niceness that abdicates his responsibility for leadership. the best Christian book ever published, because Leviticus has a quality and produces an effect that no book in the Christian marketplace can compete with.  

•We have discovered that 2 percent (1 week on mission trip) of our time living out the gospel in other contexts has a radical effect on the other 98 percent of our time living out the gospel in our own context.

•You and I have an average of about seventy or eighty years on this earth.  During these years we are bombarded with the temporary.  Make money.  Get stuff.  Be comfortable.  Live well.  Have fun.  In the middle of it all, we get blinded to the eternal.  But its there.  You and I stand on the porch of eternity.  Both of us will soon stand before God to give an account for our stewardship o f the time, the resources, the gifts, and ultimately the gospel he has entrusted to us.  When that day comes, I am convinced we will not wish we had given more of ourselves to living the American dream.  We will not wish we had made more money, acquired more stuff, lived more comfortably, taken more vacations, watched more television, pursued greater retirement, or been more successful in the eyes of this world.  Instead we will wish we had given more of ourselves to living for the day when every nation, tribe, people, and language will bow around the throne and sing the praises of the Savior who delights in radical obedience and the God who deserves eternal worship.

RETURN TO MAIN

•Maturity in the Lord is a prerequisite to maturity in marriage.

 

•Every husband is in a position of inescapable leadership.  If he attempts to abdicate in some way, he may, through his rebellion, lead poorly.

 

•One of the central difficulties we face in our culture today is the general wimping out of the Christian men.  Men have abdicated their God-given strength, leadership, and authority.

 

•The Bible teaches that a minimalistic approach to doctrine should be an embarrassment for older Christians.  The question is not, How little can I know and still get to heaven?  The question for husbands is, Given my time, resources, and abilities, how much can I learn, and how much can I teach my wife and children?

 

•To compare a woman with others, whether silently or aloud, whether with words or actions, is always destructive.  And the more comparisons are made, the less contentment is possible.

 

•We should recognize that when a husband says nothing, he is approving and leading by default.  A man cannot cease being the head of the home.  He can do it badly or well, but he cannot escape from the responsibility God has placed upon him.

 

•One area which seems small to modern men is the practice of courtesy to women.

 

•There is no such thing as invisible honor or respect. A husband cannot say, All my behavior notwithstanding, I still honor my wife, even though I never show it. Husbands must honor their wives.

 

•By his words and actions, he should constantly praise and honor her in public. Proverbs 31:28